- Please stay on the paths or lawns (unless indicated otherwise) and leave trees, shrubs, flowers, and wildlife undisturbed, so that others may enjoy them, too.
- Read a book or enjoy a picnic on the lawn, but no alcohol, please. And always carry out what you carry in and please dispose of your trash appropriately.
- Please be considerate when using a cell phone.
- Smoking is not permitted in the parks.
- Leashed dogs are welcome in all three parks. The only designated off-leash areas are on the Common, run by Common Canine.
- Please view the City of Boston Parks and Recreation Rules for the Parks.
The Common, the Garden and the Mall are three every different parks, and all have rules that will make your visit safe and enjoyable.
Boston Common is a historic public space with open vistas and areas for varied pursuits such as relaxation, sports, protests, and events large and small.
- Events on Boston Common require a permit from the City of Boston.
- Active sports (balls, Frisbees, kites) are allowed, but riding bikes, scooters and skateboards are not.
The Public Garden is a botanic garden with specimen trees, seasonal floral displays and purposely meandering paths to enjoy a quiet stroll.
- Please respect the tranquility of other visitors by keeping conversation and music quiet.
- Active sports (balls, Frisbees, kites, skateboards, scooters, and bikes) are not allowed in the Garden
- Please leave your hammocks at home, the specimen trees in the Garden are fragile.
- Events are not allowed in the Garden except permitted small weddings.
- Please do not wade in the lagoon or any of the fountains.
Commonwealth Avenue Mall is a linear park of lawns, trees, and sculpture for a quiet saunter or jog.
- Active sports (balls, Frisbees, kites, and skateboards) are not allowed on the Mall.
- Riding bikes, scooters and skateboards is not allowed.
- Events are not allowed on the Mall.